Riding a motorcycle can be an exciting way to travel, offer an easier commute, and will let you take in the sights of Merrillville, Indiana. However, this can quickly take a turn if you end up in an accident. Motorcyclists are naturally more vulnerable to injury in an accident, because they don’t have the protective physical barrier that a car normally provides on the road.
Recovering from a motorcycle accident can be stressful enough without having to worry about medical bills, lost wages, and replacing/repairing your bike. Having a legal expert to guide you through the recovery process is important. Finding the right Merrillville motorcycle accident lawyer can ensure you don’t have to go through all of this alone.
The team of Yosha Cook & Tisch are ready to stand by your side. We can gather evidence, negotiate a settlement, or take your case to trial to seek the vital funds you need. We offer free consultations at no obligation and can patiently explain to you what comes next for your case.
What Type of Compensation Can You Get from a Motorcycle Accident?
Any traffic accident can be stressful, but a motorcycle accident could be life-changing. Obtaining financial compensation after your accident is vital, especially if you’ve had serious injuries. The total amount of compensation can vary depending on the seriousness of the accident, as well as the responsible party. Below are the damages you could recover after a motorcycle accident that resulted in personal injuries:
- Medical expenses: past, present, and future medical bills are all considered in a case. They can include hospital bills, treatment, physical therapy, prescription drugs, and more.
- Lost salary and lost future income: You are legally covered for any work or income potential you lost at the expense of your accident.
- Property damage: Damage to your motorcycle and any other property.
- Pain and suffering: The psychological, emotional, and physical toll of this accident cannot be ignored and can be eligible for damages.
If you lost a loved one in an accident caused by the negligent actions of another driver, you could get justice and monetary compensation for loss of life. We understand that a loss of life can be an intense period of grieving, and we are here to help you secure the financial support that will help you heal. . You could recover the costs of your loss, such as funeral expenses, and pursue damages for the emotional challenges of losing your loved one.
Money may not bring your loved one back, but it can help relieve the financial stress you are going through and offer some comfort in your readjustment period. Our team of Merrillville motorcycle accident attorneys can explain more about your unique legal options and potential to recover damages. Our personal injury attorney in Merrillville is going to solve your case.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics in Merrillville and Lake County, Indiana
People in Lake County understand the roadway dangers drivers face—both car drivers and motorcyclists alike. In 2018, Lake County saw 17,244 crashes in total. Among these, there were 174 motorcycle collisions.
Merrillville has the fifth-highest accident rate in the county. In 2018, the city recorded 1,307 crashes in total, 13 of which were motorcycle accidents, per the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI).
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help Your Case?
Dealing with an injury claim or lawsuit on your own can be overwhelming, especially if you’re still recovering from injuries. It can be easy to try and rush the process to just get it over with. There are many important steps to take, documents to submit, and tactics to take to ensure you get the compensation you need after a crash.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys serving Merrillville know how to handle every step of the process. When you hire us, we will immediately:
- Help you understand your case’s merits
- Explain your legal options in easy-to-understand terms
- Offer you legal resources in Merrillville, such as forensic investigators and expert witnesses to help build your case
- Work with all parties of your claim or lawsuit, including the other driver’s lawyer
- Negotiate a fair settlement or represent your interests at trial
It can be challenging for accident victims to understand the full value of their case. After all, you may not think of any future financial costs or how an accident may affect your future. You can rest assured that we will work to include all forms of compensation available to you when we negotiate with insurance companies.
With Yosha Cook & Tisch, you have trial experience on your side. So, if the insurance company will not make you a fair offer, we will not hesitate to take your case before a jury and actively seek the awards you deserve.
Yosha Cook & Tisch: Record-Setting Wins for Injury Victims at Trial
At Yosha Cook & Tisch, we bring more than 170 years of collective experience to each case we take. Our firm is renowned for personal injury law practice—both in Indiana and across the country.
- Our founder, Buddy Yosha, has won almost 100 verdicts at jury trials for injury victims, more than any lawyer in Indiana history.
- In almost all civil cases that he took to trial, Buddy Yosha secured higher—and often much higher—compensation than the initial offer.
Between a track record of multimillion-dollar results for past clients and our relationships in Indiana, we are familiar faces in Indiana courtrooms. Judges, juries, and other lawyers can anticipate we will come prepared.
Yosha Cook & Tisch is ready to seek the results you need—no matter who you’re up against. We are not afraid to go up against major corporations and other large defendants in the pursuit of justice. You deserve an advocate to support you through these tough times.
Results for Motorcycle Accident Victims
We’re proud of our results for motorcycle accident victims. In one case, we were able to secure $3 million for a motorcyclist who hit construction equipment that was left on the road.
In other vehicle accident cases, we won $5 million for a passenger who suffered a traumatic brain injury when the driver’s speeding led to a crash. When a truck driver’s brake failure led to a collision with our client and they suffered a traumatic brain injury, we won $4.4 million.
What Are the Most Common Injuries After a Motorbike Crash?
Many types of motorcycle accident injuries do not require immediate medical attention. However, these kinds of accidents can still be devastating. Contrary to what many people might think, motorcycle helmets and gear do not prevent all serious injuries.
Here are some of the significant common injuries after a motorbike accident:
- Road Rash: The rough surface of the pavement and the small debris left on it could cause painful wounds on the skin. If these injuries are not treated properly, the skin can become infected, leading to more severe health issues.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Although motorcyclists wear protective helmets, the truth is these helmets do not prevent all serious injuries. Brain injuries can cause memory loss, headaches, blurry vision, and other lasting effects.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones can take an extended time to heal. Some fractures occur in the arms, legs, or ribs, but others could damage the skull and even damage vital organs.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: If spinal cord damage occurs, the results could cause permanent disability.
Any of the injuries mentioned above could cause problems for the victim’s health even years after a motorcycle accident. A motorcycle accident lawyer from Yosha Cook & Tisch can help you get justice and security for your future.
What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Merrillville
After suffering a road accident, victims should contact their doctor or seek emergency care to check their injuries. Even if you believe your accident was not serious, it’s best to visit a doctor and document your injuries—both to protect your health and for any future claim or lawsuit.
In the immediate aftermath of the crash and in the weeks to come, you should also do the following, if possible:
- Immediately cCall the police to report the crash.
- Talk to the other people present at the accident to get relevant information, like their names, phone numbers, addresses, and so on.
- Take photos or videos of the accident. Include as much detail as possible, like your damaged property or your injuries.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company of the other party until you’ve spoken to an attorney.
- Call our team for a free case review.
It does not matter if your accident was serious or not—it is always wise to contact an attorney to prevent the responsible party from taking advantage of you. You are vulnerable after an accident and it’s easy for someone to take advantage of the confusion. Let a Merrillville motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm build your case and defend your interests so you can focus on healing.
How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit for Personal Injuries?
According to the statute of limitations in Indiana (IC § 34-11-2-4), a victim of a road accident has two years to file a civil lawsuit for personal injuries.
If you wait too long to take action, you could lose the ability to seek damages—even if you have a strong case. By contacting our team early, we can ensure your case is on track.
Call Now—Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
From the moment you start working with us, we can take care of all the legal needs related to your Merrillville motorcycle accident. You don’t have to pay anything upfront as we work on a contingency basis, which means we only get our fees when we win monetary compensation for you.
You don’t need to go through these stressful times alone. Call our office now at (317) 334-9200 to get the legal help that can help you put your life back in order.