Motorcycles offer an efficient way to travel and help people save money on gas and other maintenance. However, motorcycles also expose riders to an increased chance of suffering a serious injury after a collision with another vehicle. A Fort Wayne motorcycle accident lawyer could help you pursue compensation from the party responsible for your wreck.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a Fort Wayne Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you suffered material losses or were hurt in a motorcycle crash, you should contact our lawyers in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for a free case review. A hardworking personal injury attorney could work to discover the truth behind the incident, build powerful cases against other drivers, and demand that those drivers and their insurance companies provide appropriate payments needed to cover your damages and losses.
What Are the Most Common Types of Motorbike Collisions in Fort Wayne, Indiana?
Here are ten types of motorcycle accident scenarios that may happen to you. Advice from a motorcycle crash lawyer in Fort Wayne could help you build a strong claim against the party responsible.
- Rear-end collision. The most common type of motorcycle accident, a rear-end collision, occurs when a negligent driver fails to notice you in their rear-view mirror and slams into your bike from behind.
- Right of way violation. Perhaps the most dangerous type of accident, a right-of-way violation, happens when your rights on the road are violated by an ill-prepared, careless motorist who doesn’t look both ways before crossing through an intersection.
- Left turn/merge/passing car strikes rider from the side. Similar to right-of-way violations, this kind of accident is usually caused by another driver’s negligence and poor judgment while driving.
- Lane splitting/weaving traffic collisions. A fairly new type of accident, lane splitting (where motorcycles drive between lanes to maneuver around traffic), is now legal in many U.S. states but still dangerous when drivers are unaware of what motorcyclists are doing on the road.
- Driving under the influence collisions. When a drunk or drugged driver causes an accident with you, it may be possible to recover damages for your injuries and losses through a personal injury lawsuit against them – even if their insurance company tries to deny your claim!
- Road hazards/defects that cause accidents. Suppose broken pavement, poor lighting, or debris causes you to crash. In that case, you can likely seek compensation from the government agency responsible for maintaining public roads under a state’s “government tort claims act.”
- Hit-and-run accident. These accidents are surprisingly common because many negligent drivers try to escape the scene to avoid paying for damages or facing criminal charges. Fortunately, you can still get compensated for your injuries in these cases if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Motorcycle vs. pedestrian accidents. Suppose a careless driver hits a bystander – whether on foot or riding an animal – while driving fast and erratically. In that case, they could be held liable through a personal injury claim under the legal doctrine of “negligent entrustment.”
- Car passenger opens door/pulls out/falls into, causing a motorcycle accident. The liability for this type of accident depends on the relative speeds and distances of the vehicles involved. If a car door is opened and you hit it, that is generally considered “negligent door ejection” and allows you to recover damages against the car occupant (and their insurer).
- Improper overtaking. When cars attempt to pass your motorcycle – but don’t give you adequate clearance or time to make lane changes before doing so – they can be held liable for any resulting accidents (just like in right-of-way scenarios).
Get in touch with us for a free case evaluation to learn more about what to do following a motorbike collision and how our motorcycle accident attorneys in Fort Wayne, IN, could help you obtain fair compensation for your losses and injuries.
Why Work with Yosha, Cook & Tisch Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Fort Wayne, IN?
It’s a significant decision to get in touch with a motorcycle crash legal team, so make sure the lawyer you select can handle your case from start to finish. You can rely on our knowledgeable Fort Wayne motorbike collision attorneys to handle every aspect of your case, and you may anticipate the following services from us:
- Analyzing all your choices for obtaining compensation for your losses and injuries and advising you on the best course of legal action.
- Addressing all of your inquiries and ensuring that you comprehend everything
- Demonstrating how the culpable parties’ carelessness led to or caused your motorcycle accident
- Performing a thorough investigation of your accident
- Determining the value of your case financially and evaluating the damages
- Supplying forensic investigators and expert witnesses to assist in the collection of evidence for your case
- Completing the necessary documentation for your personal injury case
- Representing you at trial if necessary
Families who have lost a loved one in a motorbike crash can receive advice from our Fort Wayne motorcycle accident lawyers on filing a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. We could assist you in seeking justice for your loved one and recovering burial and funeral expenses in addition to other economic and non-economic damages under current Indiana laws (inheritance losses, financial losses, your loved one’s pre-death suffering, etc.).
We Will Prove Fault After Your Motorcycle Wreck
All drivers take on a duty to protect all other people whenever they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. This includes protecting motorcyclists. As a result, a driver to blame for a collision must compensate all affected people regardless of those people’s choice of transportation.
However, it always falls on injured bikers to prove that someone else caused the accident.
This could require obtaining a police report, watching dashcam footage, visiting the crash scene, and talking with witnesses. If the wreck resulted from a defective motorcycle, it could require investigating the cause and holding the manufacturer responsible. A Fort Wayne motorbike crash attorney could take the lead in gathering the evidence necessary to prove that another party was responsible for the motorcycle crash.
Our Fort Wayne, IN, Injury Attorneys Will File Your Claim Respecting Indiana’s Statutes of Limitations
Additionally, it is important to know that there is a limited time to perform these vital tasks. Indiana Code § 34-11-2-4 says that most injured bikers have no more than two years after an injury to demand compensation. As a result, injured motorcyclists need to act quickly to protect their legal right to compensation.
We Will Recover Compensation for Your Injuries and Losses after Your Motorcycle Accident
Just as the law says drivers have a duty to protect motorcycle riders, it also says that at-fault motorists must provide full compensation for a plaintiff’s losses. Proving the extent of those losses is just as important as proving liability following a crash. Fortunately, a motorbike accident attorney in Fort Wayne could handle every step in this process.
Motorcycle accident claims must center around a physical injury. These can include:
- broken bones,
- separated joints,
- head injuries (traumatic brain injury),
- spinal cord damage, and more.
A comprehensive case will seek repayment for all medical costs, both past, and future.
Here are other types of compensation our Fort Wayne, Indiana, motorcycle accident attorneys could recover for you:
- Property damage
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement, scarring, temporary/permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
Accidents can also affect people’s lives in other ways. For example, they may find that they can no longer engage in once-loved hobbies. They may also lose out on significant income due to time spent in recovery or because of a permanent disability. A well-practiced injury lawyer could help demonstrate how an incident has changed a biker’s life and demand appropriate compensation.
Speak with a Fort Wayne Motorcycle Accident Attorney Now!
Motorcycle riders have the same rights as others to expect protection while on the road. Drivers who fail to provide this protection by speeding, failing to yield, or other dangerous activity are liable for the resulting collisions.
A Fort Wayne motorcycle accident lawyer could help you pursue compensation for all your personal and financial losses from the incident. They could act swiftly to gather evidence concerning the crash, tie it to the actions of another driver, and demand fair payments through insurance settlements or lawsuits.
As your first step toward justice, request a free case evaluation from one of our Fort Wayne motorcycle accident lawyers!
Reach out today to learn more!