With so many people traveling South Bend’s roads for work, school, or recreation, it is not surprising that car accidents often occur. Unfortunately, vehicle collisions can cause serious, life-altering injuries.
Under current laws, an injured person may be entitled to financial compensation for medical bills and other losses related to the accident. An experienced South Bend car accident lawyer could help recover maximum damages, allowing you to focus on healing and moving forward with your life. Do not hesitate to seek reliable representation from an accomplished attorney.
Types of Vehicle Accidents Injuring South Bend Residents
Auto accidents occur for many reasons, including distracted driving, poor road conditions, and excessive speed. Some of the more common collisions on the state’s roads and highways include:
- Drunk driving
- Texting while operating a motor vehicle
- Collisions with motorcycles
- Drunk or impaired driving
- Accidents involving speeding emergency vehicles
- Defective vehicles
- Faulty car repairs
Depending on the vehicles involved and the mechanism of injury, an injured plaintiff may have a claim for damages against the driver, vehicle owner, a government entity, or car manufacturer.
Regardless of how or why the crash occurred, Indiana Code §34-11-2-4 requires parties to file a personal injury claim for damages within two years from the accident date. This timeframe may be shortened if the responsible party is a government agency or extended if the injured party is under age 18.
An attorney skilled in car accident claims in South Bend could identify the liable parties and timely file a claim.
What Damages are Recoverable in a Car Collision?
While every vehicle wreck claim is different, there are certain damages a judge or jury can award in most cases. For example, an injured party may be entitled to reimbursement for medical expenses, lost wages, and compensation for pain and suffering.
If an accident causes someone’s death, the family may submit a claim for funeral expenses and the loss of the loved one’s care and companionship. In some cases, a bereaved family member may also request payment for grief counseling. With the help of a trusted car accident attorney, the decedent’s family members could file a wrongful death lawsuit in South Bend civil court.
What You Must Consider Before Selecting a Car Accident Lawyer
1.) Does the car accident attorney or injury law firm have a reputation for taking cases to trial when necessary?
A dog that barks a lot but never bites is similar to an auto accident attorney or firm that fails to take their clients’ cases to trial on a regular basis. The insurance companies maintain records of all the law firms they’ve dealt with in the past. Settlement offers are made after carefully considering the plaintiff’s lawyer’s track record. Specifically, the lawyers’ track record of obtaining excess jury verdicts. An excess verdict means an amount in excess of the at-fault driver’s policy limits.
Yosha Cook & Tisch is frequently called upon by other car accident attorneys in South Bend to assist on the toughest cases with the highest potential for a large verdict.
We have handled numerous catastrophic injury claims and lawsuits over the past 60 years in Indiana. Our law firm has the financial resources to take on the biggest corporations. In fact, we have litigated lawsuits against National Car Rental, Avis, AES, State Farm, Allstate, Geico, Farmers, Founders, Travelers, and practically every other car insurance carrier one can think of. Our firm has the necessary financial resources to handle any case you throw our way and against the largest corporate giants or insurance juggernauts.
2.) Do NOT select your auto accident lawyer based solely on a television ad, radio spot, or billboard. While these ads may be alluring or captivating, the insurance industry will not be impressed by these marketing messages. The insurance companies’ decision-makers, deciding the worth of your case, would rather deal with a plaintiff’s lawyer who appears on dozens of highway billboards rather than a lawyer with a track record of success obtaining jury verdicts — not cheap and quick settlements. Be wary of the lawyer you see on television every hour of the day or the lawyer who appears on dozens of highway billboards — these lawyers likely haven’t been in a courtroom since the day they were sworn in to practice law. They haven’t obtained a jury verdict that exceeded the insurance companies’ pre-trial offer. The insurance industry knows exactly who these firms are, and their client’s compensation reflects this reality.
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, an attorney from South Bend could help you deal with the legal issues that will undoubtedly arise. Yosha Cook & Tisch – Personal Injury Lawyers is a personal injury law firm that only represents victims of negligence.
We’ve seen first-hand the devastating effects of a vehicular crash and the trauma it can bring to the injured person’s family members.
Issues That Arise After a South Bend Car Accident
- Medical expenses. Following an automobile accident, of course, your health is the first thing on your mind. However, while you concentrate on recovering, your expenses may begin to mount—including ambulance transportation and emergency department visits as well as individual doctor bills and more. Because the extent of the damage might not be apparent at first, from internal bleeding to potential chronic pain resulting from a persistent injury that may require follow-up tests, visits, and medications, it’s critical to visit a physician right away.
- Repairs for the car. If you were in a vehicle accident strong enough to cause bodily harm, your automobile was most likely destroyed as well. When you’re able to drive again, you’ll want someone to repair it so that it is safe and functional.
- Lost wages. If the extent of your injuries is dire enough, you may not return to work immediately, or return to your full workload, or in some cases, a permanent disability may prevent you from working in any profession. You may be entitled to compensation for some portion of that lost revenue, but a layperson may find the laws surrounding disability and insurance difficult to navigate.
- Indiana’s comparative fault statute. This is especially important considering the state’s law called modified comparative negligence. Under Indiana Code § 34-51-2-6, a court will reduce compensation for an accident if an injured person shares blame for the event. If this blame rises to more than 50 percent, the court cannot award any compensation to the injured party.
Our attorneys have significant experience in handling automobile accident and medical injury claims along with recovering compensation for South Bend’s injury victims.
Seeking Compensation from an Underinsured Driver
In Indiana, a driver must carry insurance of at least $25,000 for bodily injury or the death of one person, $50,000 for bodily injury or the death of two or more individuals, and $10,00 for property damage caused by an accident. Unfortunately, these limits are insufficient to fully compensate someone for their losses in many cases.
To gain additional compensation against an underinsured driver, the injured party can file a lawsuit directly against them. However, if they do not have substantial personal assets, the injured party’s recovery may be limited.
A plaintiff also has the option to request compensation from their own automobile insurance carrier. If they purchased “collision” or “comprehensive” coverage, their insurance company might pay for a portion of their damages. Because recovering compensation from an uninsured or underinsured motorist can be challenging, an injured plaintiff is well-advised to work with a trusted car crash lawyer in South Bend.
Talk to a Qualified Car Accident Attorney in South Bend
A car accident can happen when you least expect it, and the impact on your physical and emotional health can be severe. After the collision, you may be left worrying about how to pay medical bills, repair your vehicle, and continue working as your recover.
If the collision was the fault of another driver, a dedicated South Bend car accident lawyer could help hold the responsible party accountable. Our firm’s seasoned attorneys are well-versed in the state’s personal injury laws and could file a lawsuit seeking maximum compensation on your behalf. Call today.