Greenwood, Indiana stands as one of the most family-friendly suburban towns in the state. Bordering the bustling city of Indianapolis, Greenwood is home to themed water parks and a wonderful trail system–it feels like a peaceful destination. Committed to acting as an environmentally-conscious “green city” and with a fantastic school system, Greenwood provides an escape for those who work in downtown Indianapolis but who long to live in more peaceful surroundings.
It feels safe in Greenwood, but in a city of over 60,000 people, accidents can still occur. What happens if you’re involved in a Greenwood car accident? What steps should you take if you need to seek compensation after your accident? Where can you turn for help? When you’re dealing with the stress and trauma of a car accident, it can be difficult to think clearly. And you shouldn’t have to take on the journey to healing by yourself. With all of this a lawyer from Greenwood may help!
In the guide below, we answer these questions for you and explain why contacting a Greenwood car accident lawyer may be one of the most important decisions you can make. We’re here to help ease your stress after your Greenwood car accident.
Greenwood Car Accident Statistics
Greenwood borders Indianapolis, and is a sizable town in its own right. Thus, a Greenwood car accident isn’t a rarity. According to WIBC, compiled data ranks Greenwood as the sixth-worst driving city in the state. Typically, Greenwood car accidents occur in the following conditions:
- 47% of Greenwood car accidents occur during daylight hours
- 49.1% of Greenwood car accidents occur during the night
- An astounding 77.5% of all Greenwood car accidents occur in clear weather conditions
Often, a Greenwood car accident is largely out of your control. However, it’s important to know exactly what steps to take afterward to ensure you receive any valid compensation.
What to do Immediately After a Greenwood Car Accident
If you find yourself a victim of a Greenwood car accident, you may be reeling from the shock. If you haven’t discovered any serious injuries on yourself or a passenger, and your car is still driveable, you may feel tempted to forgo an accident checklist and drive straight home. But it’s vital that you protect yourself and have proper documentation to show any Greenwood car accident lawyer from whom you may later obtain legal counsel. And documentation is necessary for any large insurance company who owes you compensation as well.
If you’re involved in a car accident in Greenwood, remember to take the following steps:
- If possible, pull over to the shoulder of the road
- Exchange insurance information with any other drivers involved
- Call law enforcement to file a police report
- If your car isn’t driveable, or anyone in the involved vehicles has suffered a major injury, call 911 and wait for law enforcement on the scene
- Document all car damage and apparent injury via photos and/or video
Common Causes of Greenwood Car Accidents
The most common causes of a Greenwood car accident are similar to the causes of accidents everywhere. The cause of the accident may determine the severity of the outcome. Some causes of car accidents include:
- Inclement weather: slick, wet, icy or snow-covered roads
- Impaired driving: under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Reckless driving: speeding, tailing
- Careless driving: illegal lane shifts, cell phone use while driving, unfocused driver
- Car failure: a flat tire, engine failure, or similar auto part malfunction
Common Car Accident Injuries
You may be entitled to compensation as a result of your Greenwood car accident. Some injuries that may result from car accidents include:
- Sprains, fractures, or muscle tears
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal bleeding
- 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree burns
Statute of Limitations on Compensatory Damages
If you’ve been involved in a car accident and suffered lasting injury as a result, you should consult a Greenwood car accident lawyer as soon as possible. While you may have a right to compensation, Indiana state law requires that you file your case within a two-year time limit. The only exceptions to this statute of limitations would come if a car accident victim was a minor or disabled at the time of the accident.
If you contact a car accident attorney in Greenwood in the days following your accident, they can give you a clearer picture of the validity of your case. And, if you retain an attorney, they can circumvent the need for you to cut through red tape and tackle copious amounts of paperwork on your own. Even if injuries crop up after your accident, if you wait too long, you may lose your right to seek legal justice in your case.
What A Greenwood Car Accident Lawyer Can Do For You
After your Greenwood car accident, if you contact an insurance company without legal representation, you may find yourself drowning in confusing paperwork. You’re still healing from your trauma, and the last thing you need is to try to navigate the insurance compensation road on your own. Our team of expert car accident lawyers can help in the following ways:
- We will offer you a free consultation where we’ll explore the merits of your case.
- If you choose to retain our Greenwood car accident attorneys, we will fight for you every step of the way on your legal journey
- We only get paid if you win your case–no matter where the road leads
- We will handle your insurance claims and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf
- As we investigate your case, we will provide forensic experts and investigators to examine your evidence and collect data
- We will examine any security footage of your accident
- We will fight for you if no settlement can be reached out of court
- If your case goes to trial, we’ll call both eyewitnesses and legal experts to the stand
We have over sixty years of experience in personal injury law, and we are passionate about fighting for individuals against wealthy insurance companies. We will seek justice for you, and we will stand in support of you in your journey to healing.
Call Us for Your Free Consultation and Case Review
You may not have the ability to deal with legal matters in the midst of your suffering. You shouldn’t have to tread this path alone. Our Greenwood car accident lawyers can lend their wealth of expertise to your plight. Seeking justice and closure may help you to move forward after your car accident. Let us stand in your corner and fight for you.
At Yosha Cook & Tisch, we will guide you through every step of your legal case. We care about your life and the suffering you experienced as a result of your Greenwood car accident. We stand in the corners of individuals seeking justice.
Don’t enter this fight alone. Our seasoned attorneys have dedicated their professional lives to helping bring justice and compensation to everyday people after a car accident. Call our firm today at (317) 334-9200 for a free consultation.