We never know what is in store when we get on the road. Should you get in a car accident, it can be a life-changing, often traumatic experience. And while you are having to deal with the way in which your life has been changed, the last thing you need is to worry about how you are going to emotionally, mentally, and financially recover, and whether you will find the right truck accident lawyer.
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident in Carmel, having an experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate attorney at your side is critical to getting the justice you deserve. Trucks are insured differently than regular autos, and it is important to have an experienced attorney navigate the complex process that may involve multiple vehicles, intimidating insurance companies, police reports and witness testimonies. Let’s break down the next steps you should take when you are involved in a truck accident – and why a Carmel truck accident attorney should be one of the first people you call.
Avoid Making Common Mistakes After The Accident
There are several common mistakes made by drivers after an accident. Regardless of who’s at fault, there are several key actions you should take that will help with your case down the line. . This includes taking pictures, contacting authorities, getting as much information about the other vehicle and driver as possible, making sure you are aware of the area you are in, and more. You will be asked about the details of the incident and given the trauma you just experienced, it may be difficult to remember important details.
Working directly with a Carmel truck accident attorney is one of the best ways to ensure that you do not make mistakes after the accident. An experienced attorney will deal with all parties involved in the case and make sure that your rights and interests are considered at all times. Having a truck accident attorney on your side is key for you to get the just compensation you deserve.
What A Truck Accident Lawyer Can Accomplish
Once you become a client, our Carmel truck accident lawyer will start investigating your case at no charge to you. We get paid only if we recover compensation for you, and that will be an agreed-upon percentage of your settlement or court-ordered award. We will take on your case, providing the legal resources you need to prove the liable party’s negligence. These resources include forensic investigators, who can collect time-sensitive evidence that help prove your case.
We take our clients’ recoveries seriously. For nearly 60 years, we have represented people like you who have suffered personal injuries and want to seek justice. We have recovered millions in settlements and trial verdicts for clients, including those below who suffered life-changing injuries in truck accidents:
- $5 million for a child who suffered a brain injury in a tractor-trailer accident
- $4.4 million for a client who suffered trauma to the brain after being in an accident where the truck’s brakes failed before hitting the client’s vehicle
Here’s what some of our clients say about working with us:
“I would highly recommend hiring Brandon Yosha as your attorney. After my accident he worked incredibly diligently to help me with my case. Brandon was there to talk me through the details whenever I needed. He obtained a settlement quickly, I’m happy with the outcome of my case. Brandon and the Yosha team did a fantastic job.” – Ashley B.
Your Time to Sue the Liable Party in a Carmel Truck Accident Is Limited
According to the statute of limitations for Indiana (IC 34-11-2-4), injured truck accident victims have up to two years to file a lawsuit against the party that caused their accident, starting from the accident date. The two-year deadline also applies to wrongful death lawsuits (IC-34-23-1-1).
We advise you to start working on your case as soon as possible. It takes time to build a compelling case, and two years can go by quickly. If you miss the filing deadline, you risk losing your right to seek compensation, and your case will be dismissed, even if all the evidence shows the liable party caused your injuries. While it may seem daunting to begin this entire process, working with an experienced truck accident lawyer should make the process less stressful for you as you let a professional guide you through it.
What kind of monetary compensation can you expect?
It’s never easy to assign a dollar value to severe injuries or loss of life you may have experienced. But, a part of being able to move on with your life is having the necessary resources to do so. The compensation you could recover depends on the severity of your injuries and how long your expected recovery time is, along with other factors. Our legal team will review all the consequences from your accident and determine which damages you could recover, such as:
- Medical expenses (ongoing and future)
- Lost salary
- Lost or reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Property damage (vehicle repairs or replacement)
While it is not possible to promise an exact amount of compensation, we will work hard to seek a just amount for you. We will advise you of the merits of your case and assess all your damages before establishing a value for it, one that will allow you to move forward and begin rebuilding your life. This is the amount we will demand from the liable party or parties as we hold them accountable for your losses.
We Will Determine Who Is Liable for Your Carmel Truck Accident
When a truck accident occurs, the first thing you might think is that the vehicle’s driver is at fault, and this is the case in some accidents. However, many other factors could contribute to an accident, and commercial vehicle accidents often involve more than one liable party. The third parties that could be responsible for a truck accident include:
- Truck parts manufacturer: Auto parts manufacturers can make mistakes, causing the brakes, steering wheel, tires, or other truck parts to be defective and stop working properly.
- Poorly secured cargo: The people in charge of fastening the merchandise that a truck transports can also make mistakes. The straps must be adequately secured so that heavy objects do not fall onto other smaller vehicles.
- Truck companies: Trucking companies sometimes hire staff with little experience or training. These companies have to offer training before drivers hit the road. In these circumstances, both the driver and the company could be liable.
- Long working hours: Long working hours can seriously affect a trucker’s rest. Some truck drivers use substances that make them stay awake longer, which can compromise their motor skills and judgment while on the road. This can lead to terrible accidents.
- Road obstacles: When construction work or road repairs occur, debris is sometimes left behind on the pavement. It is also common to find natural debris or roads in disrepair. In this case, the responsibility could lie with the government or the construction company.
With all of these possibilities, it can be overwhelming to navigate the process alone. Each party may try to shift blame from one to the other, so it’s important to have a trusted Carmel truck accident attorney to identify all potentially liable parties in your accident and prove how their negligence caused it. We will also file an action to preserve time-sensitive evidence that could be in the truck company’s possession, such as:
- The truck’s electronic data recorder (black box data)
- The truck driver’s logbooks
- The vehicle’s inspection and maintenance records
- The driver’s training and employment history files
- Results from field sobriety tests
We Will Negotiate with the Insurer for Your Compensation
If you were in a truck accident in Carmel, you will most likely be overwhelmed at the thought of fighting to hold the responsible parties accountable. A truck accident attorney from our firm will help you navigate the process, which includes negotiating with insurers for a just compensation that reflects the life-altering pain and suffering you are enduring. We will always keep you updated on settlement offers you received and fight for the best outcome that reflects an amount that will help you move on with your life.
If we cannot recover a settlement on your behalf, we can pursue your recovery in court. We are not afraid to take your fight before a judge and jury to get the compensation that can help you manage your life after a devastating truck accident. We will file your civil lawsuit within Indiana’s statute of limitations and ensure you don’t miss an important deadline.
We also help build a solid case for you by:
- Collecting information: We will take care of finding all the information on your case, such as the police reports, the names of those involved, your medical account, etc.
- Talking to expert witnesses: We will thoroughly investigate the reasons for your accident by speaking with professionals on the case, such as accident reconstruction experts, doctors, and police officers.
- Gathering videos and photos: We will look for photos or video footage that were taken at the time of the accident, including video from traffic cameras or cameras at nearby businesses.
Hiring an attorney after being seriously injured in a traffic accident is a smart move. It is unnecessary to fight alone against the responsible people who caused your damages. You need to focus on your recovery and your family, and we are here to help.
Call Us to Discuss Your Carmel Truck Accident for Free Today
Working with our attorney can bring the liable parties in your truck accident to justice. If you lost a loved one, Yosha Cook & Tisch can take care of your legal process so you can properly grieve and take the time to heal.
Now is not the time to wonder how you will afford a truck accident lawyer. We support victims by working on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay anything up front. We will cover your costs with the monetary compensation we obtain for you. Call (317) 334-9200 to get a free case evaluation now and learn how our we can help you secure the resources you deserve to rebuild your life.